The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that delivers high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking a Billing Supervisor for our William F. Ryan Community Health Center located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
The Billing Supervisor works in conjunction with the Billing Director to manage the operations of the billing department for the Ryan Network. This encompasses supervision and training of staff, medical coding, charge entry, claims submission/follow-up, payment posting, denials management and aspects of payor relations. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
Management, Supervision and Development
- Supervise billing department staff. This includes hiring, training, and evaluating staff in accordance with Center’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure development and dissemination of current billing policies and procedures to staff.
- Establish and oversee the collections function. Administer “write-offs” in accordance with the
Center’s approved credit and collection policy.
- Manage and optimize the revenue cycle, from processing encounter forms through payment
entry, denial management and account write-off.
- Keep abreast of current trends and practices, including legal and regulatory requirements, and
disseminates information throughout the department.
- Immediately report any problems and/or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
Coding, Charge Entry, Claims Submission and Payment Posting
- Review, adjust, appeal and /or monitor all denied claims for all third payers.
- Oversee billing of payors on a daily basis.
- Submit all information required by payers in order to process claims.
- Make adjustments to the computer classification of claims to accurately reflect expected pay
- Establish and maintain appropriate manual and automated billing systems to provide complete,
timely and accurate recording and reporting of billing information.
- Ensure the integrity of the Accounts Receivable aged trial balance report by assuring that
payments are posted on a timely basis.
Payor Activities & Relations
- Liaison with payers, including managed care plans and insurance carriers, Medicaid, Medicare and other State and Federal agencies.
- Contact payers and responsible parties in an effort to collect on denied claims.
Compliance, Auditing & Reporting
- Ensure compliance with all eligibility requirements for third party payers.
- Ensure compliance of managed care plans with contracted reimbursements.
- Establish and ensure compliance with policies and procedures for billing and collections.
- Provide interdepartmental reports on the basis of daily and monthly billing.
- Perform audits.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- 3 years of experience in billing supervision or A/R management.
- 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of insurances billing policies such as Medicaid, Medicare & Managed Care
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Excellent problem solver with a demonstrated history of process improvement.
- Proven track record of organization, attention to detail and ability to respond promptly to
requests, anticipate organizational needs, and maintain efficient office operations.
- Strong computer literacy with proficiency in standard office software/hardware such as
Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
Education, Licenses, and/or Certifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Business.
- Prior experience in a multi-site Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
- Certified Medical Coder certification a plus.
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients.
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient.
- Works well with others.
- Contributes input to improve outcomes.
- Asks others for opinions and feedback, provides feedback in a tactful respectful way.
Minimal Training Time:
180 actual workdays probationary period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed primarily in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment may vary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Please forward resume by email to email@example.com, and reference the job title in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.