The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that delivers high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking a Patient Care Coordinator for our Ryan-NENA Community Health Center on the Lower East Side.
The Care Coordinator manages the smooth and consistent transfer of care as patients are discharged from the Emergency Department or In-patient Hospital to an ambulatory out-patient setting. This position serves as a liaison for these patients and proactively manages their care as they move to primary care and specialty care services at the Ryan-NENA Community Health Center. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
- Under the direction of the Clinical Unit Coordinator, Adult Medicine, works in tandem with Beth Israel Medical Center (BIMC) personnel to identify patients with no assigned Primary Care Provider (PCP) or no insurance, and advocates for patients in need of outpatient ambulatory care services and other appropriate medical care.
- Uses hospital discharge reports, notifications of discharges supplied by managed care organizations, and other data sets to coordinate transition of care for patients being discharged from hospitals or emergency departments within 24-48 hours of discharge to prevent readmission and related complications.
- Informs patients with assigned PCPs that they may also access out-patient services at Ryan-NENA but will be required to change their PCP to be seen there.
- Coordinates the timely accessing of primary care and specialty appointments at Ryan-NENA by pre-registering the patient and scheduling such appointments after discussing convenient dates and times with the patient and having them approved by the patient.
- Tracks down and makes available key clinical data (discharge summaries, laboratory test results, etc.) prior to the time of the patient’s initial appointment at Ryan-NENA. This includes directly contacting hospital services and physicians to obtain results of care delivered at the hospital or Emergency Department.
- Communicates directly with patient and/or family to keep them fully informed of the status of ambulatory care appointments, etc.
- Develops and implements tracking methodology for patient care coordination and care management across hospital and Ryan-NENA systems.
- Makes initial contact and provides information to the patient regarding services at Ryan-NENA. Calls all Transition of Care patients 24 hours in advance of appointment to remind them of the date and time of appointment.
- Calls all Transition of Care patients who missed their appointments the previous day to determine why and reschedule their appointments.
- Serves as primary liaison among the hospital, the patient and/or family, and the referring physician.
- Attends all meeting and/or training sessions as required.
- Immediately reports any problems or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Other special projects/assignments as needed.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Two to four years of experience with care coordination services.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Good time management skills and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Computer proficiency with electronic medical records (preferably eCW) and Microsoft programs, particularly Excel and Word.
- Comfortable dealing with a wide range of individuals, including physicians, clinical and general staff, patients, and the public.
- Ability to work flexible hours (including weekends).
Education, Licenses and/or Certifications Required:
Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree, preferably in a medically-related or public relations field.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please forward resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference the job title in the subject line.