Providing comprehensive and affordable health care since 1967.
The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers and sites whose goal is to deliver high quality, affordable, and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. The Ryan Network’s mission, and its work, are based on the founding principal that “healthcare is a right, not a privilege.” We are currently seeking Chronic Care Managers for several Ryan Network locations in Manhattan.
Provide individualized diabetes self-management education (DSME)/ training to individuals and groups according to the Scope of Practice, Standards of Practice, and Standards of Professional performance for Certified Diabetes Educator. Serve as a leader of collaborative, multidisciplinary Chronic Care team(s) with a focus on ensuring coordinated services for patients with diabetes in poor control, at-risk for poor control, and out of care. This position will provide DSME, which will be patient-centered, respectful, and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
- Design an operational model for administering the office or telephonic based chronic care program.
- Implement a program to ensure that patient assessment, risk satisfaction, education, referrals, and longitudinal management of patients is completed in accordance with departmental and NCQA standards.
- Supervise and direct each member of the Chronic Care team to ensure they are evaluating and managing patients according to departmental standards.
- Provide DSME, health coaching and support to at-risk and high risk diabetic patients via face-toface and telephone encounters.
- Collaboratively develop educational goals, learning objectives and a plan for educational content and teaching methods with DSME/T program participants.
- Participates in the development of training materials.
- Provide educational interventions that utilize primarily interactive, collaborative, skill-based training methods, and maximize the use of interactive training methods.
- Organize, develop, and facilitate diabetes education group meetings.
- Deliver individualized diabetes education, including but not limited to the evaluation of each patient’s condition, degree of control and educational needs, as well as ensure progression of the care management plan and promote achievement of established goals.
- Evaluate effectiveness of educational services provided by measuring attainment of learning objectives.
- Collect DSME/T program participant assessment data.
- Document assessment data, educational plan, educational services provided and evaluation results in each participant’s educational records.
- Collaboratively develop an individualized follow-up plan with each program participant.
- Conduct a follow-up assessment upon completion of DSME/T program services using outcome measures.
- Inform the PCP of the needs of the patients, and institute changes in pharmacologic regimens as per PCP instructions.
- Act as a resource to patients and PCPs in enabling patient access to the PCP or presenting information to the PCP for medical decision-making.
- Determine when a program participant’s needs are outside the scope of the instructor’s practice and expertise, and arrange for additional services to meet needs.
- Connect patients with identified clinical staff or resource needs to other enabling staff members, such as Navigators, Care Manager RNs, Health Home staff, and Licensed Clinical Social Workers.
- Contributes to, and participates in, a continuous quality improvement process to measure
- DSME/T program and to identify and address opportunities for improvement.
- Appraises his/her performance to identify areas of strength and areas for improvement and to develop a plan for improvement and growth.
- Participates in peer review process to evaluate performance of other professional instructional staff.
- Projects and/or other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- 6+ months of experience providing diabetes education and/or 15 contact hours within past year in diabetes and diabetes clinical and educational subjects.
- Working Knowledge of disease and case management principles and practices.
- Ability to develop a collaborative, therapeutic alliance with individuals.
- Ability to lead and effectively manage groups.
- Comfortable providing education to patients individually and in a group setting, and working collaboratively with the care team.
- Computer literate in a Windows environment.
Education, Licenses and/or Certification Required:
- Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Currently licensed and registered in the State of New York, Registered Nurse, Certified Nurse
- Specialist, Nurse Practitioner, Physician’s Assistant, or Pharmacist
- Master of Science (MS)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D)
- Experience with children with type 2 diabetes highly preferred
- Experience with electronic medical records, specifically eClinicalWorks
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient
- Works well with others
- Contributes input to improve outcomes
- Asks others for opinions and feedback; provides feedback in a tactful respectful way
Minimal Training Time:
Probationary period consisting of three months of actual work days.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health and/or general primary care setting which include the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Please forward resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference job title in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, gender identity, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.