CLINICAL NUTRITIONIST (Bilingual)
The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that delivers high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking a Bilingual Spanish Clinical Nutritionist for multiple community health center locations in Manhattan.
Provide nutrition assessment and medical nutrition therapy for patients, and serve as a resource for the staff, health care team, and community in the area of nutrition.
- Provide medical nutrition therapy to patients referred for nutrition / therapeutic counseling, including the development of a nutrition care plan and follow-up as appropriate.
- Assess patient’s nutritional status by taking a detailed diet history and reviewing the patient’s medical record to address nutrition-related laboratory and medical findings. Develop an individualized and culturally competent nutrition care plan including therapeutic and / or modified diets according to patient needs, demonstrating the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the demographics of the patient population served.
- Provide quality nutrition counseling including age- and literacy- appropriate learning methods and appropriate behavioral / motivational strategies, and promoting patient self-management skills, with particular emphasis on diabetes management.
- Document nutrition assessment, care plans, recommendations, and counseling sessions in the electronic medical record, including findings and instructions, according to standards of care and as required by the Center, the State and Federal Agencies.
- Refer nutrition patients to other services within the Center or to other agencies as necessary.
- Participate in huddles and interdisciplinary case conferences, coordinating with multidisciplinary care teams to assist in the development of individual patient care plans, and serving as a nutrition resource for health care practitioners.
- Develop and facilitate group self-management and education projects for patients with similar dietary instructional needs.
- Develop PowerPoint or other media presentations for nutrition education projects and inservice programs.
- Develop and update instructional materials for nutrition-related health risks found among patients and community residents, translating materials into Spanish.
- Establish and maintain contact with other community agencies and health care providers for referrals.
- Contribute to the in-service education of staff members regarding nutrition and related issues.
- Conduct inreach in Network and outreach including nutrition workshops within the Network and other community agencies.
- Assist the Director WIC & Nutrition in conducting peer and chart reviews and in other Quality Improvement activities. Prepare and maintain statistical data for assessment, evaluation and planning nutrition projects and grant proposals.
- Keep abreast of new developments in nutrition and diabetes management pertaining to conditions present in the population being served through reading, research and attendance at professional conferences and medical staff meetings at the Center.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences to the Director of WIC & Nutrition.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Experience in Clinical and Community Nutrition
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Proficiency in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Education, Licenses, and/or Certifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition
- Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist (RDN)
- Certified Nutritionist-Dietitian (CDN)
- Master’s Degree
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
- Experience with children with type 1 diabetes highly preferred
- Customer Service: Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient
- Cooperation/Teamwork: Works well with others. Contributes input to improve outcomes. Asks others for opinions and feedback; provides feedback in a tactful respectful way
Minimal Training Time:
Probationary period consisting of three months of actual work days.
Work conditions inherent in ambulatory health care and outreach settings. Some traveling to various community sites required. Flexible work schedule may include evenings or weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health and/or general primary care setting which include the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
For consideration, please forward resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference the job title in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.