Director of Patient Services
The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that delivers high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking a Director of Patient Services for our Ryan/NENA Community Health Center on the Lower East Side.
Manage the Center’s practice management system, including appointments, cashiering, and registration areas, and for ensuring that staff function on an optimal level. Ensure that practitioner schedules are implemented and updated as needed, that appropriate procedures for data processing are followed, and that patients are processed efficiently with professionalism and respect. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
- Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating and disciplining, where necessary, of all Data Entry/Distribution Clerk staff, including registration, cashiering, patient accounts, and appointments.
- Responsible for establishing production schedules for daily, weekly and/or monthly reports, including appointments, utilization, open encounters, and no-shows, and for submitting reports to the Executive Director and appropriate staff as requested.
- Maintain liaison with appropriate Patient Services personnel at other Ryan Network sites.
- Responsible for maximizing third party reimbursement by ensuring and facilitating coverage such as Medicaid, Medicaid managed care plans, Child Health Plus, Family Health Plus, and other third party coverage, for all eligible patients.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining appropriate procedures to facilitate patient care delivery, as well as quality control of data entry aspects, including the following:
- Manage the on-line appointment system.
- Assist with the appointment referral system to back-up hospitals when staff or patients report problems.
- Assist in the development and coordination of data processing functions for outreach programs.
- Assign provider numbers.
- Maintain and update provider schedules for all clinical departments, including ensuring the availability of appointment slots for patients based on priority, modifying schedules as appropriate, informing appropriate personnel when problems are identified, taking appropriate action where necessary.
- Implement and maintain patient communication and tracking system, including the preparation of reports for phone reminder listing, long term recall listing, and cancellation/rescheduling listing.
- Ensure that patients are processed in a timely and efficient manner at the Cashier.
- Develop and maintain procedures for efficient and accurate processing of encounter forms, including encounter control records.
- Ensure that cash collected is accurately prepared and processed for deposit according to organizational policies and procedures.
- Address issues such as delinquent accounts, problems with assigned fee, and third-party insurance coverage information.
- Ensure the timely processing of patients waiting for services.
- Review, monitor, and update the following: a. Interviewing techniques.
- Distribution of informational materials to newly registered patients, as well as current patients, when updating their financial status.
- Ensure release of accurate and appropriate information on services provided by Ryan-NENA.
- Interface with outside agencies who refer patients to Ryan-NENA.
- Develop appropriate answering and message relaying techniques.
- Monitor staff registration/recertification productivity and efficiency.
- Ensure timely service to patients.
- Ensure optimal use of staff and department productivity.
- Train Supervisors/Department Heads on appointment scheduling.
- Maintain and update written policies and procedures as needed.
- Attend all meetings as required.
- In the absence of the Executive Director and Deputy Director, assume responsibility as administrator in charge of day-to-day operations.
- Participate in evening and Saturday Administration.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Perform other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Five years of practice experience including identifying and operationalizing new processes, training and cross-training staff, managing accountability, and acting as a change agent to assure staff’s proficiency and ability to work as a team.
- Knowledge of third party billing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work well with others.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Electronic Health Record Systems.
Education, Licenses and/or Certifications Required:
- Experience in an ambulatory care/primary care environment.
- Experience supervising more than 10+ staff.
- Working experience with eClinicalWorks.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please forward resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference the job title in the subject line.