The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that deliver high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking an LPN for our school based health program located at PS/IS 180 Hugo Newman at 370 W. 120th Street, NYC.
The Licensed Practical Nurse, as a member of the School Based Health Program team, will perform required functions. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals.
- Receive, interview and register all eligible students. Triage all students by assessing and recording the chief complaint and taking and recording vital signs. Prepare patients for examination; measure and record vital signs, dip and record urine, assist in physical examinations and diagnostic procedures, administer medications and treatments as ordered, and carry out specific orders issued by primary care provider. Perform and record vision and audiometry screening. Perform phlebotomy as requested by provider. Assess patient’s understanding of diagnosis and therapeutic intervention.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with the OSHA Blood born Pathogens Standards and center policies and procedures.
- Keep and maintain all required logs including, but not limited to: refrigerator and urine dipstick logs.
- Review immunization status of all students. Provide counseling to students regarding health education and personal issues. Provide patients with treatment education materials as needed.
- Make and record all appointments and referrals for the students. Maintain providers’ appointment schedules. Maintain medical records of Ryan and duplicate school clinic record. Provide follow-up for missed appointments and abnormal labs. Escort students to appointments when necessary.
- Process all Ryan Health Center, NYS Department of Health and NYC Department of Health forms. Process Ryan encounter forms according to billable and non-billable categories.
- Input Ryan’s School Based Clinic patient registrations, immunization and demographic information into the School Health Online data system; input School Based Clinic encounter data in to School Based Online data system on a daily basis. Submit completed weekly reports to Program Supervisor by the following Tuesday. Retrieve specific reports from School Health Online system as requested by the School Based Health Program Supervisor. Makes certain that the Ryan school health records interface with the Board of Education records.
- Maintain school clinic office and consumable medical supplies.
- Promote the School Clinic through routine group presentations to students. Maintain contact with school administrators, staff and teachers. Maintain contact with community agencies for the betterment of patients/students; make referrals as necessary or required to other facilities, Ryan, etc. work with parent groups associated with the school.
- Attend and participate in all School Health Program Ryan Departmental meetings as required.
- Attend and participate in meetings, health fairs, training sessions, and other activities as required.
- Assist in other Ryan Clinics when requested.
- Immediately report any problems/unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served.
- Perform other duties when assigned or when necessary.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Proven track record of organization, attention to detail and ability to respond promptly to requests, anticipate organizational needs, and maintain efficient office operations.
Education, Licenses, and/or Certifications Required:
- High School Diploma and graduation from an approved School of Practical Nursing.
- Current New York State LPN license.
- Ambulatory pediatric experience.
- Associate’s degree.
- Phlebotomy certification.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Please forward resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference the job title in the subject line.