Doctor of Medicine.
New York State M.D. License, Board Certified or eligible to be Certified by American Board of
The William F. Ryan Community Health Network is a group of not-for-profit, federally qualified health centers that delivers high quality, affordable and comprehensive medical care to diverse and underserved communities. We are currently seeking a Psychiatrist for multiple community health center locations in Manhattan.
The Psychiatrist provides psychiatric assessments including mental status exams, rendering psychiatric diagnosis, and prescribing a plan of treatment. Provide medication therapy to a psychiatric and dually diagnosed population (Substance Abuse, Persons living with HIV+ Illness etc.). Provide consultation to primary care around the management and treatment of psychiatric disorders. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
- Provide Consultations and Assessments for patients referred for psychiatric services to include a comprehensive mental status exam, review of systems, medical history, risk assessment, substance abuse history review of previous treatment. and make treatment recommendations. Provide Psychiatric Evaluations on admission and when clinically indicated. Conduct mental status exams. In instances in which a patient is not appropriate for services within the service, make recommendations for referral.
- Prescribe medication for patients as appropriate. Order appropriate lab work and other tests as needed, and ensure there are no medical contraindications to the course of treatment. Maintain a caseload for psychopharmacology. Complete, review and sign treatment plans and make recommendations for psychotherapy services to be provided by other members of a multidisciplinary team.
- Function as a team member together with other health care practitioners by collaborating actively with other disciplines and by maintaining communication with other practitioners as appropriate regarding the healthcare needs of the patients both within the Mental Health Department, and between Departments.
- Serve as a consultant to primary care and review medical records and make recommendations on psychopharmacological treatment and the management of patients in primary care to the primary care practitioner and onsite behavioral health team.
- Document all work in an accurate, complete and timely manner in compliance with Center, State, and all regulatory policies and procedures within the Center’s electronic medical record. This includes progress notes with reference to target symptoms, risks, benefits of medications, rationale for starting and changing medications, review of side effects, and accurate recording of all prescriptions, timely development, review, and signing of treatment plans, complete assessments utilizing the DSM V and accurate ICD-10 and CPT coding. All notes and assessments are to be locked in a timely manner.
- As required, provide consultation and precept assigned Psychiatric Nurse Clinical Specialists on a regular basis to review treatment provided to patients receiving mental health care. Review medical records as required by precept agreement.
- Provide in-service training to the Department’s staff and Center practitioners on psychopharmacology, diagnosis, Treatment and management of psychiatric disorders and other areas of expertise.
- Provide psychiatry services throughout the network as assigned.
- Respond to psychiatric and medical emergencies.
- Supervise the patient care activities of nursing staff who may be assigned to work with him/her.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, and Center Policy and Procedure.
- Attend staff meetings, in-service meetings, and supervision as assigned.
- Immediately report any problems and/or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Three years of Psychiatry Residency.
- Experience in consultation, assessment, and up to date knowledge of
- Experience with one or more of the following: severe mental illness, substance abuse,
children, individuals living with HIV+ and other chronic conditions.
- Knowledge and treatment of addictions.
- Experience in behavioral health outpatient settings.
Education, Licenses and/or Certification Required:
Psychiatry and Neurology within year of hire.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish
- Board Certified in Children and/or Adult Psychiatry
- Specialty in Children and/or Addictions
- Customer Service
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the
patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient.
- Works well with others.
- Contributes input to improve outcomes.
- Asks others for opinions and feedback, provides feedback in a tactful respectful way.
Minimal Training Time:
Six months of actual workdays probationary period.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health clinic and general primary care setting which include the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
For consideration, please forward resume with salary requirements to email@example.com, and reference the job title in the subject line.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.