Associate Medical Director - Ryan Health | NENA
The Associate Medical Director is member of the health care team. S/he renders medical care, to adult patients and provides medical leadership in identifying and implementing ambulatory care services that meet the needs of the patient population and community. Engages in establishing, implementing, and maintaining the highest standards of professional medical care. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
Patient Care & Documentation
- Render to adult patients those medical services normally expected of an internist or family practitioner in office practice: Examine, diagnose and treat medical illnesses; evaluate health status, initiate therapeutic and preventive measures, and make appropriate and necessary referrals to specialty and other consultative medical services. Those medical illnesses which are treated include the entire spectrum of general internal medicine, including out-patient management of HIV disease.
- Carry a patient caseload consistent with quality of care and productivity standards and as supervisory duties will allow.
- Participate in after hours’ telephone triage coverage on rotating basis.
- Complete all necessary paper-work connected with duties, including progress notes in the medical records, completion of all forms required by the data collection system of the Center, and all outside reimbursement and regulatory agencies and organizations.
Administration, Management & Supervision
- Attend, participate and assist in planning appropriate medical staff meetings and trainings at the Center, as required.
- Assist the Medical Director in supervising the direct delivery of clinical services of physicians and mid-level practitioners, as well of professional standards and ethics.
- In conjunction with Administration, develop strategies to address issues and concerns regarding patient flow, productivity, staff relations, patient relations, and other pertinent areas.
- Ensure adequate scheduling and coordination, including the on-call coverage for all clinicians as needed
- Assist in developing, reviewing, and maintaining timely clinical protocols that support the provision of clinical services through efficient and effective patient care procedures.
- Coordinate with other clinical departments within Ryan, including laboratory and radiology, and assure appropriate integration of clinical services with applicable sub-specialties
- Represent Ryan at outside meetings and conferences as requested/required. Attend internal meetings as requested.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens. Standards, and Center Policies and Procedures.
Consultation and Collaboration
- Communicate on an on-going basis with other health care providers, team members and other staff on all aspects of the health needs of patients.
- Participate in the teaching and supervision of paramedical personnel by imparting understanding of the rationale and methods of diagnostic and therapeutic activities on the job on an on-going basis, and when requested, in a more formal manner.
- Assist to establish and coordinate services with other medical facilities (in particular local area hospitals) to insure the continuity of care for the Center's patients.
- Work collaboratively with the RN Unit Managers to assist in achieving efficient patient flow as well as optimal patient care.
Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement
- Assist in the development and completion of peer review chart audits and other appropriate quality activities.
- In conjunction with the Quality Improvement Manager and Medical Director, review, monitor and ensure the implementation of a quality improvement program in the Adult Medicine Department, including peer reviews and clinical measures.
- Maintain professional competence through participation in outside conferences, and other continuing medical education activities.
- Other projects and/or duties as assigned.
- Doctor of Medicine.
- Minimum of two years of clinical skills in an ambulatory care setting.
- Experience and commitment to the concept of community health care.
- Experience or aptitude for developing/implementing clinical policies and procedures.
- Master’s in Public Health, Public Administration or similar degree program.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish or other language
- Prior experience in a multi-site Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or other health care environment.
- Prior administrative experience in a clinical or non-clinical setting.
- Prior supervisory experience.
Licenses and/or Certification Required:
- License to practice medicine in the State of New York
- Board Certification.
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient
- Works well with others
- Contributes input to improve outcomes
- Asks others for opinions and feedback, provides feedback in a tactful respectful way
Minimal Training Time:
Six months of actual workdays probationary period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health and/or general primary care setting which include the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.