Medical Assistant- Ryan Chelsea-Clinton
To provide clinical support services as needed and within appropriate scope of practice by assisting providers and performing clinical duties and patient education in the assigned clinical area. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Network.
- Under the supervision of the Clinical Unit Coordinator or Clinical Unit Manager, screen, interview, counsel and discharge patients. Document all clinical observations, findings, and services provided in the patient’s electronic health record (eCW). Report all abnormal observations and findings to the appropriate medical provider in a timely manner.
- Obtain and document all vital signs including height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, respiration, pulse, pain assessment, body mass index (BMI), and last menstrual period (LMP). Assist patients in completing assessment forms including, but not limited to, Consents, Depression (PHQ), Functional Assessment and Patient Education Tool, as per Center protocols.
- Administer and appropriately document the following tests/procedures/treatments as ordered by providers: EKGs, Waived Testing, Phlebotomy, according to Center protocol. Assessments in other clinical areas may include: bone density and audio/visual screening. Assist with examinations and procedures (i.e. colposcopy, pelvic exam, urinary catheterization, endometrial biopsies, LEEP, IUD insertions, etc), as needed and as per nursing standards and Center protocols.
- Demonstrate proper use of assisted devices including walkers, canes and crutches; escorting patients when necessary.
- Translate for medical practitioner and patients, when appropriate and necessary.
- Responsible for retrieving appropriate laboratory, diagnostic and radiology reports as requested.
- Responsible for providing patients with appropriate containers and verbal and/or written instructions regarding the collection of laboratory specimens such as spectrum, urine and stool, either in the Center or at home, and the subsequent delivery of same: label laboratory cultures, and submit to the laboratory on a daily basis.
- Assist in transporting paperwork, specimens and materials to and from areas when appropriate.
- Review Telephone Encounter (eCW) daily for follow-up procedures for Labs and send Urgent Lab Recall and Missed Appointment letters, as required.
- Responsible for notifying Clinical Unit Coordinator of supply and medication shortages in a timely manner.
- Immediately inform supervisor about any equipment malfunctioning.
- Responsible for cleaning, disinfecting, sterilization and maintaining clinical equipment and medical instruments as per protocol.
- Responsible for preparing and organizing the supplies in the examination rooms. This includes preparing examination table; ensuring that supplies are not expired and are maintained in an organized manner in cabinets; ensuring that all necessary equipment and supplies are readily available for the practitioner’s use; and informing the Unit Coordinator of the supplies to be orders in a timely manner.
- Maintain refrigerator, freezer and ambient room temperature logs and waived test logs on a daily basis.
- Perform Medical Assistant duties in accordance with the current Joint Commission’s Nation Patient Safety Goals.
- Perform Medical Assistant duties when assigned to other clinical areas.
- Communicate with clinical, clerical, and managerial staff to provide continuity of patient care.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with OSHA Blood Bone Pathogens Standards, and Center policies and procedures.
- Attend health center and network meetings, as required and assigned.
- Report any unusual occurrences or problems in a timely manner to Unit Manager.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Pediatric experience required.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to think clearly and to work in a busy clinic.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong skills in a Microsoft environment: MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
Education, Licenses and/or Certifications Required:
- Completion of a Medical Assistant Program.
- High school diploma or GED.
- 1-2 years of clinical experience working as a Medical Assistant.
- 1-2 years of experience in ambulatory setting (emergency room, clinic or health center).
- Working experience with electronic medical records software.
- Bilingual English/Spanish or other language
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient.
- Works well with others.
- Contributes input to improve outcomes.
- Asks others for opinions and feedback; provides feedback in a tactful respectful way.
Minimal Training Time:
90 actual workdays probationary period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health clinic and/or general primary care setting which includes the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.