Medical Office Assistant- Ryan Health/ Washington Heights
To provide medical assisting and clerical support to the Center's practitioners, based on needs and scope of the practice. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of the Ryan Network.
- Under the supervision of the Executive Director and Practice Administrator, the Medical Assistant is responsible for the screening, interviewing, counseling and discharging of patients. The Medical Assistant will document all clerical observations, findings and services provided in the patient' s electronic health record (eCW), and immediately report all abnormal observations and findings to the Associate Medical Director and/or designee.
- Responsible for obtaining and accurately documenting the patient's medical history, vital signs including Blood pressure, BMI, height, weight, pulse, pain management, temperature, etc.
- Perform point of care testing, i.e., urinalysis, fecal occult testing, rapid strep/flu/HIV, INR, HCG, HBAiC and glucose testing.
- Assist patients in completing assessment forms, including but not limited to: Consents, Depression Screening, (PHQ), Functional Assessment, and Patient Education Tool, as per William F. Ryan Community Health Network protocol.
- Perform phlebotomy duties, including finger sticks, and accurately prepare labels, requisitions and bag blood for reference laboratory pick up.
- Responsible for providing patients with appropriate containers and verbal/written instructions regarding the collection of laboratory specimens either in the Center or at home (i.e., urine, throat and wound cultures etc.)
- Perform the following patient screenings and waived tests procedures: EKG, Waived Testing, Bone Density, Audio/Visual Screening, and Administration/Reading of PPD.
- Assist practitioner with examinations and procedures, including colposcopy, endometrial biopsies, LEEP, IUD insertions, pelvic exam, urinary catheterization, and wound dressing, etc., as per nursing standards and Ryan Network protocol.
- Educate patients in the use of assisted devices including walkers, canes, crutches, and escorting patients when necessary.
- Responsible for preparing and organizing the supplies in the examination rooms, including preparing the examination table, ensuring that supplies are not expired and are maintained in an organize manner in the cabinets, ensuring that all necessary equipment and supplies are readily available for the practitioner's use, and informing the Administrative Coordinator of supplies to be ordered, in a timely manner.
- Translate and interpret for practitioner as appropriate and when necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining temperature control logs for the storage of vaccines.
- Responsible for cleaning, disinfecting, sterilizing and maintaining instruments and clinical equipment, and maintaining logs, as per Ryan Network protocol.
- Review Telephone Encounters (eCW) daily for follow-up procedures for abnormal test results, and send Urgent Lab Recall phone message/letter to patients.
- Perform duties in accordance with current Joint Commission Standards and National Patient Safety Goals.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with OSHA Blood borne Pathogens Standards and Ryan Network policies and procedures.
- Perform clerical functions, including but not limited to: Patient registration, scheduling appointments, obtaining medical procedure referral authorization, making referral appointments and follow-up of referrals, verification of insurance and changing of PCP, arriving patients in eCW and collecting sliding fees and co-payments, answering telephone and relaying messages, completion of medical forms and scanning documents into the patient's electronic health record.
- Attend Center and Ryan Network meetings and trainings as required and participate in performance improvement activities.
- Immediately report any problems and/or unusual occurrences to Supervisor.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Two years of experience in ambulatory setting (emergency room, clinic or health center).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to think clearly and to work in a busy clinic.
- Working experience with electronic medical records software.
- Strong skills in a Microsoft environment: MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
Education, Licenses, and/or Certifications Required:
- High School Diploma and graduation from an accredited School of Medical Assistant/Patient Care Associate Certification program.
- Current MA/PCA Certification.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient.
- Works well with others.
- Contributes input to improve outcomes.
- Asks others for opinions and feedback; provides feedback in a tactful respectful way.
Minimal Training Time:
- Probationary period consisting of three months of actual work days.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health clinic and/or general primary care setting which includes the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.