Medical Records Supervisor - Ryan Health | West 97th Street
Under the direction of the Director of Medical Records, supervise, and provide technical guidance to, the Medical Records staff across the organization. Provide medical records guidance to patient services staff at other Ryan Health locations. Perform direct medical functions as necessary and directed by supervisor. Work collaboratively with all Ryan Health staff and departments that interface with Department of Medical Records. This work is carried in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Health.
- Assist the Director of Medical Records in the operational management of the Medical Records Department.
- Supervise and coordinate the medical records staff at all Ryan Health locations. Ensure that all departmental operations run smoothly and efficiently.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other supervisors, department heads with regard to medical records functions throughout Ryan Health.
- Coordinate medical records staff meetings as directed by supervisor.
- Supervise day-to-day operations of Medical Records Department in absence of Director of Medical Records.
- Oversee and manage the requests by patients and third-parties for medical records of Ryan Health patients.
- Ensure hard copy medical records are accurately and timely scanned into electronic medical record (EMR).
- Detect, define, and develop solutions to challenges in the administration and maintenance of medical records at Ryan Health.
- Notify supervisor as problems or issues arise with the effective administration and maintenance of medical records, particularly with regards to other departments.
- Keep current with technological and legal developments which impact the administration and maintenance of medical records, including professional development, meetings, and conferences with supervisor’s prior approval.
- Motivate medical records staff to achieve their job duties and functions to the best of their abilities.
- Work closely with Human Resources Department with regards to any union related issues impacting the Medical Records Department and/or staff.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences to supervisor.
- Attend all meeting and/or training sessions as required.
- Other special projects/assignments as needed.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Three (3) years prior experience in Medical Records Management.
- One (1) year of supervisory experience.
Education, Licenses and/or Certifications Required:
- Associate’s Degree in Medical Records Administration or related area.
- Registered Health Information Technician/Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIT/RHIA) certifications from American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience working with Electronic Health Record.
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient.
- Works well with others.
- Contributes input to improve outcomes.
- Asks others for opinions and feedback; provides feedback in a tactful respectful way;
Minimal Training Time:
- Six (6) months.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is primarily in a mental health clinic and/or general primary care setting which includes the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.