Mental Health Provider - Ryan Health | Women & Children’s
The Mental Health Provider provides mental health services at the main Article 31 location 801 Amsterdam including: outreach, assessments, counseling, psychotherapy, and case management utilizing evidenced based practices for a diverse patient population and consultation to intra-agency personnel in an integrated health care setting. (S)He functions as a team member with interdisciplinary staff and works with community agencies to assure coordinated care for his/her patients. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Health.
- Treatment: Crisis intervention, brief and long term supportive and insight therapy using a variety of treatment modalities including individual, group and family therapy.
- Screening and evaluation of patients referred to the mental health department.
- Work with child, adolescent or young adult or adult population. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served.
- Provide counseling services to patients/families to resolve specific, agreed upon problems.
- Work collaboratively with the treatment team, other providers, collateral contacts and organizations serving patients.
- Referrals out: responsible for knowledge of community resources Must determine priorities in treatment and be able to decide which patients are more appropriately referred elsewhere.
- Function as an advocate in negotiating with other institutions for patient services.
- When needed, function as a resource person and liaison to other staff and community agencies.
- Maintain professional competence by attendance at professional conferences, in-service seminars and other meetings as assigned.
- Evaluate care given in consultation with other team members and individual and peer supervision.
- Integrate mental health care with medical and social service care.
- Submit statistical documentation of work performance that is timely, accurate and in conformity with departmental requirements.
- Adhere to all agency and departmental policies and procedures.
- Home visits: Treatment and evaluation are sometimes expedited by use of home visits and are made when clinically indicated and with the approval of immediate supervisor/s.
- Work variable hours depending on the needs of the program.
- Must demonstrate a professional, courteous and respectful attitude in working with patients, immediate supervisor, and other employees.
- Practice accepted infection control measures in accordance with the OSHA Bloodborne pathogens standards and Center policies and procedures.
- Attend Department and Center meetings as required.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences to supervisor/s.
- If LCSW, supervise students as assigned.
- Other special projects/duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Must be knowledgeable and trained in some evidenced based practices.
- Able to practice using multi-modalities, individual, group and/or relationship therapies.
- Demonstrated track record of organization, focus and ability to work in a fast-paced clinic.
- Working experience with electronic medical records software.
- Able to use a computer for word processing and scheduling appointments in a calendar.
- Experience treating individuals with mental illness and working with diverse patient populations.
- Able to meet the demands of a busy clinic practice in both serving patients well and documenting the work done in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate cultural competency
Education, Experience and/or Skills Required:
- Master’s Degree from an accredited School of Social Work, Mental Health Counseling Program, Creative Arts Therapy Program, Marriage and Family Therapy Program, Psychoanalysis Program or Psychology
- New York State licensure as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Master Social Worker, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Licensed Creative Arts Therapist, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Licensed Psychoanalyst or Licensed Psychologist
Education, Experience and/or Skills Preferred:
- Two years’ experience in a health/behavioral health setting as a psychotherapist
- eClinicalWorks or other electronic medical records software experience.
- Bilingual: English/Spanish.
- Group work
- Professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served (if applicable).
- Commits to exceeding expectations of the patient
- Works well with others
- Contributes input to improve outcomes
- Asks others for opinions and feedback, provides feedback in a tactful respectful way
Minimal Training Time:
- Six (6) month introductory period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is primarily in a mental health and/or general primary care setting which include the unpredictability in behaviors of individuals and acute and chronic infectious diseases which may be contagious. Adequate preparation and precaution is necessary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce.