Nutritionist - Part Time
Provide nutrition assessment and education to WIC participants, and serve as a resource for staff, health care team, and the community in the area of nutrition. This work is being carried out in support of the mission and goals of Ryan Health.
- Interview and counsel participants using participant-centered skills, and assess nutritional status based on anthropometric, hematological and other medical information provided by the participant and medical providers to determine all appropriate New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) risk criteria for WIC Program eligibility.
- Determine if participants have nutritional risks that are designated to be high-risk and provide appropriate nutrition interventions at each appointment.
- Open, update, and close-out all high-risk care plans in accordance with NYSDOH and Ryan policies and procedures.
- Fully engage with participants to help set health goals and schedule appointments that ensure participants receive full WIC benefits and maximize utilization.
- Document all participant interactions as required by New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and as needed to provide continuity of care.
- Scan and maintain all required documents into participant’s electronic file in accordance with NYSDOH WIC Program guidelines.
- Ensure that all participants have received WIC orientation and are familiar with WIC program policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate the nutrition knowledge and skills necessary to provide nutritional assessment and interventions appropriate to the age and needs of the participant served.
- Screen all participants to determine when hematology services are required in accordance with NYSDOH and Ryan Health policies and procedures.
- Promote breastfeeding initiation, exclusivity, and increase breastfeeding duration rates through individual instruction and group education.
- Inform prenatal and post-partum women about, and refer them to, the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program.
- Conduct breast-pump assessments and issue breast pumps as warranted and in accordance with NYSDOH and Ryan policies and procedures.
- Refer participants to the Breastfeeding Coordinator when appropriate.
- Increase awareness of the consequences of smoking and substance abuse in WIC Participants, offering referrals as needed.
- Remain informed about signs and symptoms of perinatal depression and refer accordingly.
- Document all nutrition education sessions within the required time frame.
- Keep abreast of new WIC Program policies and procedures, as well as new developments in nutrition and health by attending NYSDOH and Center meetings, conferences and trainings.
- Stay apprised of all NYSDOH WIC and Ryan Health memos and policies.
- Conduct in reach/outreach and nutrition workshops within the Center and in the community as needed.
- Immediately report any problems or unusual occurrences.
- Maintain kitchen/waiting area used for food demonstrations.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Minimum Experience and Skills Required:
- Experience in Clinical and Community Nutrition
- Strong command of MS Word and Outlook
Education, Licenses, and/or Certifications Required:
- Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist (RDN) and/or Master’s Degree in Nutrition
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred
- WIC experience
How To Apply
Please forward resume by email to email@example.com and reference the job title in the subject line.