Supervising Health Educator - Ryan Health / Women & Children's
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Support Services, the Supervising Health Educator will ensure the delivery of high quality, cost effective counseling and testing, health education services including disease prevention, Evidence Base Interventions (EBIs) to Ryan Health patients and to community residents. This work is carried out in support of the mission and goals of the Ryan Network.
Management, Supervision and Program Development
- Supervise Outreach Workers, Peer Specialists and Peer Educators, including but is not limited to: recruitment, hiring, training, evaluating, and disciplinary action (as necessary); day-to-day supervision and support to ensure staff meet recognized standards for the delivery of services, professionalism and productivity; maintaining attendance records; AND coordinating administrative and outreach schedules.
- Ensure that program documentation is maintained in accordance with agency standards.
- Participate in Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement activities, including medical chart review and review of data reports to ensure accuracy of databases.
- Design and implement pre- and post-test questionnaires and other evaluative tools to determine the effectiveness of health education presented during workshops and individual sessions.
- Develop culturally relevant educational materials and curricula, under the guidance of the Senior Director of Support Services, to meet the health educational needs of the targeted populations. (e,g., women, adolescents, substance abusers, men who have sex with men, Latino and African American communities); ensure the dissemination of materials and curricula throughout the Ryan Network.
- Assist in the completion of regulatory and fiscal reports to ensure compliance with funding requirements, program deliverables, and regulatory agency mandates.
- Develop public service announcements, social media, fliers and brochures to inform the targeted populations of the availability of HIV-related and other health services as offered by the Ryan Network.
Outreach, Promotion, and Client Development
- Conduct rapid HIV and Hepatitis C testing, utilizing all available methods, as well as pre- and post-testing counseling, in clinical and non-clinical settings, and provide linkage-to-care and referral services as needed.
- Conduct on- and off-site outreach, including health education and prevention workshops, risk reduction education, and referrals, geared to meet the needs of the Ryan Networks target populations.
- Drive outreach van to transport materials and staff to designated outreach sites.
- Develop linkages between healthcare and other services providers (e.g., mental health, substance use, supportive services, etc.) working with the Ryan Network’s target populations.
- Represent the Ryan Network in community fora, collaboratives, and other settings as appropriate.
- Practice infection control measures in accordance with OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens Standards.
- Attend required meetings, supervision, and training as assigned.
- Immediately report problems or unusual occurrences to Director of Support Services, or other Ryan Network leadership as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates Degree in Public Health or related field preferred with 2 year experience, or at least 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory experience preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of HIV prevention and treatment.
- Minimum 2 years experience providing HIV educational, outreach activities, and social services to the target population(s)
- Professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in working with patients and colleagues.
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Excellent problem solver with a demonstrated history of process improvement.
- Proven track record of organization, attention to detail and ability to respond promptly to requests, anticipate organizational needs, and maintain efficient office operations.
- Strong computer literacy with proficiency in standard office software/hardware such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Education, Experience and/or Skills preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health or Human Services preferred, or a related field and at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
Licenses and/or Certification Required:
- NYS Driver’s License required.
- HIV Counseling and Testing certification preferred.
- Certification in Mpowerment and other EBIs preferred.
Minimal Training Time:
180 actual workdays probationary period.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to move about the office; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or operate office equipment.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work is performed in office and outreach settings. The noise level and space accommodations in the work environment may vary.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position may be required to perform other duties. If such work becomes a permanent and regular part of the job, a new description will be prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ryan Network is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate because of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital or family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, military veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce